Thursday, March 14, 2013

TRADITIONAL HAYA MUSICIAN

Earlier this year, I met a traditional folklore musician. His name is Mzee Gaspare Protase Kyetangabo.
His music laments about societal problems that his friends and relatives struggle through each and every day. His music is full of common sense advises and stern warnings if you conduct your life in ways that are not in accordance with your tradition.

Crowds love him. In my initial contact with him, he was surrounded by a small crowd. One person will pick a song from his printed playlist, they will pay the money and he would play a song. Kind like a live juke-box. His most expensive song was 1,000 shillings or about .70 cents.

I have been interested to promote and preserve this kind of music. I was exposed to it by my dad who used to invite such artists at our house and they would play songs for what seemed like a very long time. I did not get most of what they sang about, but now I do.

This is an attempt to boost this kind of music and in turn help him earn a living. A DVD will be produced on his behalf and all proceed will be sent to him.

Watch the Trailer to his up coming  DVD HERE






No comments: